The Brunei Darussalam Library Association (BLA) was formed by a group of enthusiastic and dedicated group of young librarians who have just returned to Brunei Darussalam after successfully completing their formal library education in the United Kingdom way back in 1984. Realising that the libraries in Brunei were at different levels of development and that the library profession urgently needed a boost, the existence of a library association was timely and essential to lead the library development, set standards and elevate the profession.
On 29 December 1985 a gathering of librarians was held at the Youth Centre in Bandar Seri Begawan to formally discuss the formation of the Brunei Darussalam Library Association. Those present unanimously agreed to form BLA and a Protem Committee was formed to formulate the Constitution and get BLA registered.
BLA was registered on 11 March 1986 and officially launched on 2 May 1986 followed by its 1st Annual General Meeting and elections of office bearers. Its 1st President was Nellie Dato Paduka Haji Sunny.
Aims and Objectives
The Brunei Darussalam Library Association (BLA) was formed on 11 March 1986 with the following objectives:
- To unite librarians, information managers, professional educators and interested individuals;
- To encourage the effective use of libraries among the young, children and to inculcate interest and love for reading which will promote a reading culture and lifelong education of Bruneians
- To enhance the development of library services in Brunei Darussalam;
- To assist in and provide support for the development of literacy problems at all educational institutions necessary by providing systematic and effective library service;
- To promote mutual understanding and cooperative work among librarians, information managers, educators and other interested individuals;
- To provide a standard for library professional development;
- To encourage members to become actively involved in local, regional and international activities to enhance library development and the profession;
- To include any other aims that may promote the aims stated above
c/o Class 64 Library,
SOASC, Jalan Tengah,
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN BS8411
Fax.2222330 email: email@example.com
To be a member, download the form here & submit to the email addresses above